AREA17 Bird of Time Kit
About this BOT:
This laser cut version of the Bird of Time was developed by AREA17
Although the wing planform closely adheres to the original Bird of Time design, slight adjustments have been made to facilitate the introduction of a brushless motor and battery. Notably, the fuselage has been extended by approximately 4 inches.
Where possible we have made the kit click to together. It can be built without a paper plan.
The all up weight of this kit with a brushless and battery ready to fly is typically lighter than the original non motor build. The original had a wing loading of 10 oz sqft this version was only 8.3 oz sqft.
1090 sq in 70.3 sq dm)
Flying weight: 1.8 kg
COG: 100mm from leading edge
The laser kit includes:
- Fuselage Formers
- Fuselage 4 mm Balsa Sides, Bottom and Top
- Fuselage 3 mm servo tray
- Balsa and ply wing ribs
- 3mm Ply Wing Spars
- 1.5mm Ply false leading edge
- 25mm Trail edge stock
Wing Parts Supplied.
What you need to complete:
- 2 x Mini Servos about 2.0kg or larger Eg. Corona DS929HV
- Motor Dualsky XM2838EG-11L Brushless Motor about 300watts
- Folding prop 11x7E or 11x8E
- 35-45 amp ESC with BEC
- 1500-1800Mah 3s Lipo
- 1.6mm piano wire
- 4ch RX
- 1.5mm Balsa wing sheeting
- Iron-on covering
- Titebond Original and CA
- Box Cutter
- Glue the 1.5mm ply front doublers in place. F1 to F3
- Glue the formers F2, F3 and F4 in place on the side pieces, do not forget to glue the servo tray between F3 and F4.
- Slip the 6mm quad in from F1 to F3 and glue to the quads to laser marks F1 and F3
- We now glue clamp the sides and bottom pieces between F2 and F4. Leave the ends open at this stage it helps ensure no twists are introduced.
- You can now glue the rears quads ie F4 and through F5 to about 170mm from the end.
- Glue the bottom rear section to the quads and sides.
- Glue F1 formers and glue the bottom front to the sides and quads
- The tailplane is built bottom down flat on the bench.
- Glue the front leading edge and main spar onto the bottom sheet.
- Glue the ribs in place
- Glue the joiner tubes in place.
- Glue the 3mm ply end rib in place
- Sand the top formers to produce a tapering trailing edge.
- Glue the top cover in place